Friday, January 6, 1922

Mild, clear day. Arose 8 A.M. Breakfast etc. Father to court. Delivered all day. Aunt Gertie here to dinner.  Tom (Mark Sawyer) left for California on 4:57 train. Supper. Bowled at Morse with church league 2 games. Home. Talked. To bed 11 P.M.

**********
1876 Front piece of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
This is the first time that Stanford has referred to Mark Sawyer as Tom. Though it's an obvious reference to Mark Twain's book, I wonder who started calling him that. Interesting that Stanford feels the need to put Mark's name in parentheses. Makes me wonder again who he thought would be reading his diary.

Stanford's delivering eggs, I would presume, taking care of his father's business. I'm glad to see he's still bowling, though alas!--no report of wins or scores.

Aunt Gertie is Uncle John's wife, visiting alone. I wonder why?

No comments:

Post a Comment